Tuesday, March 6, 2018

My 5am-9pm: Stamps, fishes and sleep regression?

Welcome to another week gone by...  There was no snow last week, but the commute was not optimal.  Lots of accidents I guess?

Saturday

We went to swim class which is always a great way to start my weekend.  Sami is progressing well even if she is currently not a fan of going underwater.  I'm working with her on closing her mouth when I wash her hair in the bath and she's getting it.  I'm hoping it can translate to the pool.

We went to the mall and Sami got another Mickey.  Can you ever have too many Mickeys?



Sunday

We decided to go to the Aquarium late in the morning.  Parking was not fun - mental note -- get there as they open next time.  Seems like everyone decided to go to the Aquarium that day.  Hubby was a trouper and waited in the long lines to buy entry tickets as I pushed Sami around in her stroller.  We eventually got in and had a wonderful time.

Sami loved all the fishies, the turtles, the sharks and the tiger (yes there really is a tiger in the Aquarium).  The following night, on a call with my parents, Sami was able to tell them what she did:  "Where did we go yesterday Sami?" - "The quarium".  "What did we see at the Aquarium?" -  "FISHIES!! And..uh...turtles and sharks! And and and a tiger!!"

With the Aquarium came the ride home which was right around nap time... She slept for maybe 30 minutes... and then didn't nap the rest of the afternoon.  Toddlers and missing their nap or their full nap - always a fun time!

Monday-Friday

Four out of five nights, Sami woke up between 2 and 3.  I mean she woke up.  Blabbing to herself like she does if it was 6am.  My husband was a champ and went to see her 3 out of 4 nights.  We thought perhaps she had a full diaper, but it was not the case.  We don't know why she's been waking up.  I've read countless of articles and all I can think is that it could be sleep regression.  Perhaps because she's learning a new skill (potty training), or perhaps because she's getting too little or too much sleep.  We can try to tinker with her bedtime, but for now we'll see how it goes.  Just when you think you are going to start getting some shut-eye....

Work was pretty busy last week.  I've been assigned a new task and then landed 2 projects so that has been keeping me busy.

Potty training is slowly picking up again.  I've been motivating my girl with stickers which she absolutely loves.  When she goes potty, she gets to put a sticker on the calendar for that day.  I believe we had stickers on 5 days last week!  To some, this seems like rewarding behavior that you are supposed to learn.  To others it seems like a bribe.  I see it as a motivating factor that makes her excited to learn and it's not something I will do forever.  Once she's got it down pat and doesn't need the motivation anymore, she can have the stickers to put in a sticker book.  At least that's how I see it in theory... we'll see how it works in reality.  Wish me luck!

My struggle for the week - obviously the sleep regression but also the stamps... Sami got gifted a set of stamps and she LOVES it.  She pushes the stamp down on the little square pad of ink and then on her sheet of paper.  Problem is, I don't want the ink everywhere, so it requires constant supervision.  It does have it's positives as you'll read below, but she wants to play with these all the time which makes it difficult for me to do other things.

Success for the week - potty training progress and the stamps!  I am so impressed with my little girl's motor skills!  I thought for sure she would need more assistance with playing with these since they are recommended for 3+, but she's doing it really well!  And it's reinforcing her colors (hubby got her a pack of 20 or so different color ink pads to supplement the stamp kit).

I've been looking for ward to Sami getting a little older so that we can do art projects together.  She loves art, or seems to from the pictures I receive from daycare and the excitement she demonstrates when I get the crayons out.  I am by no means artistic or talented in this area, but they sell kits and have ideas ready to go at craft stores so I thought I could maybe get one every month or so for us to do on Sundays.  A good Mama-Sami bonding activity for us to hopefully do for a long time.

Now that I know I don't really need to wait another 6 months... I have an idea for what art activity she might enjoy.  Stay tuned - you'll read about it next week.

Until then :)






No comments:

Post a Comment

My 5am-9pm: April 28 - May 4 & life with my toddler

Evidently I haven't been jotting notes down as I should because I've been getting my weekends mixed up!  I totally omitted writing a...