Wednesday, March 28, 2018

My 5am-9pm: Feeling older

Saturday

Saturday was a fun day.  We went to Sami's swim lesson.  It's an activity I look forward to with Sami every week and I'm 80% sure she enjoys it too.  I want to say that we went to the park because it was such a nice day, but I can't be 100% sure.  I need to start jotting stuff down from my week - especially for the early parts of the previous week given that I'm now talking about a day that was 1 week and a half ago.

It was St. Patrick's Day which isn't something I've celebrated often.  I've never been a big drinker.  With Crohn's disease, my digestive system has never done well with alcohol.  I can have a drink here and there, but I am always careful of how my body is reacting.

Saturday evening we had some friends over for another game night.  It was such a nice evening that we had dinner outside on our deck.  Although as soon as the sun started to go down, it got chilly very quickly!  Brett made his delicious burgers which we all devoured.  Sami even had some burger, sans bun with red and yellow dip - as she refers to ketchup and mustard.

Once Sami was down for the night, we played Settlers of Catan and drank Grasshopper cocktails which my husband had made for St. Patty's Day.  I thought it tasted good, but I also don't do great with milk/cream so I only had a few sips and then had my drink of choice - rum & coke.

It was an enjoyable night filled with strategy and laughs.  We'd bought Settlers of Catan after playing with our friends in Seattle who we visited on our honeymoon road-trip up the West Coast.  It's not a 2 player game so we hadn't played it since.  We have a 2 player version which is a version of the game but with cards rather than a board.  Different strategies to it than.

Playing this game brought back fun memories for me.  The four of us used different strategies although two people had the same strategy which led to both their demise. In the end, our friend Chris won.  I'm certain we will play again, and hopefully I'll be more on my game next time!  It was fun blocking my husband as he seemed to be close to winning the game.  And it's always fun to mess with him :)

Sunday

On Sunday, my husband's parents came over.  They had been on a long road-trip in their motor home and had not seen us in several weeks possibly over a month.  It was very nice to spend some time with them, and his mom and I took my daughter to the park where the little one coerced her "Nan" to go down the slide after her - several times.  We all had a great time.

Monday-Friday

Monday was our 11th year wedding anniversary.  Boy that ages me.  I received beautiful flowers from my husband and was able to admire them all week at work.  It certainly brightened up my cube!  They are still going strong on my nightstand.  I'd leave them in the kitchen, but my cats would try to eat them...  and I recall learning from  Friends that lilies can kill cats.

After returning from dinner with Monica's parents, Monica vents to Rachel and Phoebe that her parents spent all the money they had been saving for her wedding:
Monica: "It's not gonna be okay! It sucks! No swing band! No lilies!"
Phoebe: "No, but that's good.  You don't want lilies.  If a cat ate them, it would die."
Monica: "What?"
Phoebe: "I'm just saying that now you can invite cats."


I cooked three Blue Apron meals which was a lot of fun, but again I don't want to go into too many details since I'm planning to write a review on my blog.  Hopefully Friday during Sami's nap :)

My nephew turned 16 last week.  As with my wedding anniversary, this ages me terribly!  I have always gotten this feeling of amazement and of feeling like I'm getting older whenever my brothers hit milestones.  When my oldest brother turned 18, then 21.  When my other brother got married and then had kids.  When my oldest brother turned 40.

And now my nephew is 16!  Above my fireplace I have a big picture frame with 8 pictures or so and one of them is of me holding my nephew the day he was born.  It does not feel like it was 16 years ago.  He's grown up to me such a nice young man.  Well mannered, polite and loves his family.  He's over 6 feet tall which is another thing that makes me feel bewildered.  For most of his life, I've lived over 1800 miles (almost 3000 km) away which is a sad realization because I missed so much of him growing up.  We never know where life will take us.  It's a journey that has us take turns, and while my life hasn't been what I always envisioned, I am blessed to have a loving family, a devoted and amazing husband, an angel for a son and a daughter that makes me smile day in and day out.




No comments:

Post a Comment

My 5am-9pm: April 28 - May 4 & life with my toddler

Evidently I haven't been jotting notes down as I should because I've been getting my weekends mixed up!  I totally omitted writing a...