Monday, April 23, 2018

#MealPlanMonday April 21-27 & random thoughts about meal planning

Happy Monday!  Another new week, another meal plan.




Crispy Sheet Pan Lemon Parmesan Garlic Chicken
Bowtie pasta
Snow peas & beef stir-fry
Beef burritos (ground beef with Old Del Paso mix + green pepper/onion with fixings of your choice)

I tend to sometimes forget if I need to thaw meat overnight on Friday for Saturday and my four meals this week require me to thaw meat.  This happened Friday night, so I improvised and we had spaghetti with meatballs - frozen meatballs and sauce in a jar.  Saturday night I remembered to thaw some ground beef so that I could make beef burritos.  I knew Sunday would be a busy day having been to a birthday party so it was just perfect.  Last night I took out the chicken for the sheet pan dinner tonight.  And I just took out the steak to thaw for tomorrow's dinner.  I'm on a roll! 

Online grocery ordering & pick-up at the store continues to go well.  On week 3, I was $10.00 below budget again.  Woohoo!  I'm rather surprised that the majority of what I'm spending my budget on isn't what's actually needed for each meal.  The weekly staples (milk, juice, fruits, yogurt, etc.) tend to bring me to about a quarter of my budget.  Then household goods like paper-towels, laundry detergent, diapers, will eat up another good quarter to half of my budget.  The rest is lunch fillers, things I need to restock on, etc.

The more I meal plan, the more I'm thrilled that I've introduced this to my life.  It's been a great time saver, even if I haven't quite figured out how to consistently meal prep.  I need to meal prep the slow cooker meal tomorrow.  I thought for sure that I'd have time to meal prep this weekend, but I was feeling tired.  It's the first time in a long time that my Remicade treatment made me feel pretty tired - or perhaps you are just exhausted after going to a 2 year old's birthday party trying to keep track of your child who does not sit still.  I had some lunch while she napped and was planning on meal prepping but she napped for about 30 minutes... so... yeah.

I'm getting ready to meal plan another month.  I should do it next week, but I'm anticipating that I may not have time during my lunch breaks so I may do it one evening this week.  I took a short lunch today and will again for a couple days because I have a couple appointments this week.  I'm starting to think I need to downsize my recipes again because I keep skipping over recipes I thought looked good.  I've certainly found some that I like a lot - and when I do I insert them every month or so.

Have you been meal planning?

Have a great night!!

One of the Blue Apron meals from last week - I split the recipe in two because I didn't want beans in my portion.

The pasta dish was the best.  I'd totally make that again.

Cooking the broccoli for the pasta dish

The ingredients for the pasta dish still packaged

No comments:

Post a Comment

My 5am-9pm: April 28 - May 4 & life with my toddler

Evidently I haven't been jotting notes down as I should because I've been getting my weekends mixed up!  I totally omitted writing a...